Explore Our SchoolTake a tour of a typical day at Nashville Freedom Schools©! See our kids, our curricula, photos, and more.
A Day in the Life of NFSP©
08:00 a.m. Breakfast (provided at no charge)
08:30 a.m. Harambee!
09:00 a.m. Integrated Reading Curriculum
12:10 p.m. Drop Everything and Read (or Journal)
12:30 p.m. Lunch (provided at no charge)
01:15 p.m. Afternoon Enrichment (such as)
– Hip-hop poetry
– Spanish, Mandarin, French or sign-language classes
– Field trips
– Vocal music/music appreciation
– Craft-making/visual arts
– Black History competitions
– Food preparation
3:15 p.m. Wrap-up and dismissal
After breakfast and before reading classes begin, Freedom Schools celebrate a time of Harambee! (Swahili for “let’s pull together), including songs, cheers, chants, stomps, and a Read-Aloud Guest. The purpose is to celebrate our unity of purpose and get the scholars “pumped up” to learn.
Scholars shout Freedom School cheer and sing our national motivational song — “Something Inside So Strong” by Ladi Siffre — to build community, celebrate cultural pride, and demonstrate social awareness and action.
CDF Freedom Schoolsemploy the Integrated Reading Curriculum, which uses age-appropriate books under the national theme for CDF Freedom Schools, “I Can Make A Difference.”
The curriculum each week focuses on making a difference in myself, in my family, in my community, in my country, and in my world. The last week’s theme is making a difference “with hope, education, and action.”
The books are selected by a nationwide panel of educators, family therapists, sociologists and social workers. They must meet the following criteria:
- are developmentally appropriate
- lend themselves to a range of interesting, creative activities
- relate authentic history, culture and heritage through the eyes of teens and children
- introduce people of all ages who have made a difference in the lives of others
- encourage young people to involve themselves in community service, no matter their circumstances
- help children explore fundamental issues related to self-esteem
- expand their capacity to dream and to believe that they can make
Our Photo Gallery
We love our kids! They’re so enthusiastic, earnest, and eager to learn more. At Nashville Freedom Schools, we truly believe a picture is worth a thousand words. We’re proud to showcase our students learning, laughing, growing, and sharing. Take a peek through our highlight reel below to get a glimpse at some of the energy and passion that these children have.
Help us empower, educate, and inspire our children.
Your contribution will help keep Nashville Freedom School Partnership© alive and thriving, and ensure we can continue to provide essential summer programming for Nashville's next generation!
Become a Friend of Nashville Freedom Schools!
Gain instant "cool cat" status. Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Nashville Freedom Schools. No spam, ever!