Volunteer OpportunitiesFrom teaching a class to our read-aloud sessions, explore our volunteering opportunities at NFS!
- Help a teacher in the classroom
- Write/edit brief articles for our newsletter
- Teach a weekly class in art, music production, poetry, choral music, dance, video production, rap, computer coding, graphic design, money management, math, science, cooking, language
- Shop for needed supplies for a Freedom School site
- Lead a physical education activity, such as kickball, basketball, relay races, etc.
- Demonstrate a craft or skill, such as sewing, woodworking, knitting, model-building, arts and crafts, no-stove food prep
- Help with onsite registration of scholars
- Set up/pack up a Freedom School site
- Shop for art supplies or snacks
- Chaperone a field trip
- Lead a life skills class for Junior Interns
- Arrange and host a field trip at your workplace or at another learning place
- Plan a Parent Empowerment night event or presentation on such topics for parents as budgeting, understanding your child’s IEP, managing conflict, keeping your family safe online, how to save for your child’s education, fire safety, gun safety, low-cost recreational activities for your child
Parents Step Up
The ability to read and write is vital for academic and career success in any field. Nashville Freedom Schools emphasize this by inviting a guest reader to each site each day.
Our reading guests include professionals from across the city, such as business owners, lawyers, nurses, doctors, chefs, religious leaders, educators, government officials, parents/guardians, students, writers, musicians, performers, community activists, government officials, and former inmates-turned-advocates.
Most of our readers share favorite children’s books, stories, essays, and poems. Others, though, tell stories, play an instrument, act out scenes from plays or movies, or teach a lesson. The purpose it to encourage teens and children the importance of the spoken and written word.
Read-Aloud guests read for 10 minutes during the morning Harambee sessions. To be a guest reader in next summer’s sessions, email us.
Nashville Freedom Schools(c) depend heavily on volunteers to teach, mentor, and enrich the lives of our scholars and their families. Our summer sessions run for six weeks, 8:00 a.m.. until 3:15 p.m., Monday through Friday.
We also need volunteer support during the year as we prepare for the next Freedom School session.
In-session volunteers may choose to give one or two hours (eg., help with first-day registration and set-up) during the summer, or may offer a weekly or daily class. (A 2017 volunteer taught a three-day-a-week Spanish language class.)
Our needs go from individual tutoring for scholars who struggle to helping serve snacks or sponsoring a field trip.
To volunteer, individuals must be undergo a criminal background check and read and sign our volunteer policy statement.
Hold an Info Session
Be A "Runner"
Host a Field Trip
Teach Your Hobby
"Yes! I'd like more information on becoming a volunteer."
Become a Friend of Nashville Freedom Schools!
Gain instant "cool cat" status. Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Nashville Freedom Schools. No spam, ever!